While the January transfer window has been quiet for many clubs, Aston Villa and Newcastle United have been making the most noise in the Premier League so far. On 13th January, they completed their second respective signings with the intention of finishing the season on a positive note.

So far, Aston Villa have failed to recreate the form from their previous season which has resulted in them dangling close to the relegation zone. Dean Smith was relieved from his role at the club after the poor start and was replaced by Steven Gerrard. The former Liverpool player has got a promising start to his new journey. However, Aston Villa are still in harm’s way as they currently sit 14th in the league, just 11 points ahead of the safety net.

Newcastle United have got a massive task ahead of them. Although the takeover has been a new dawn for the club as well as the fans, it will come crashing down if they get relegated this season. Currently second from the bottom, the Magpies have started recruiting players in a bid to climb out of the bottom three places.

Aston Villa and Newcastle United Strengthen Their Squad With Another Addition

Lucas Digne Signs For the Villans

Only a few days ago, Aston Villa completed the most stunning deal when they signed Philipe Coutinho from Barcelona on a six-month loan deal. While his addition will definitely strengthen the squad, Villa recruited Lucas Digne to stabilize their defensive woes.

The 28-year-old full-back was undoubtedly one of the best at Everton. However, after the appointment of Rafael Benitez as their manager, getting along became more challenging. Falling out of favour, his situation was monitored by the likes of Chelsea, Newcastle United and Aston Villa.

Finally, it was Villa who won the race for his signature thanks to the Gerrard factor.

“It was the main factor. I came here for the manager. I had a very good meeting with him and we spoke a couple of times during this month. Also, I feel his desire to win, to show his football as a manager – the attacking football, the possession. I feel it’s what I want and what I want to show to the fans.” Digne said on the club’s official site.

They finalised the deal on 13th January. It is reported that the club has paid Everton £25 million for his services. Digne is also in contention to feature against Manchester United on 15th January, Saturday.

Newcastle United Continue With Their Recruiting

This is the first transfer window for Newcastle United since the takeover. While it is difficult to recruit world-class players when you can’t promise them Premier League football next season, they are putting up an incredible first impression.

The Magpies have a huge task ahead of closing the gap to the safe zone. It was clear that that won’t be possible without new signings. Thankfully, their recruitments have been great so far. Last week, Newcastle confirmed the signing of the prolific Kieran Trippier from Atletico Madrid.

After strengthening their defence, Newcastle eyed a striker and got one in the form of Chris Wood. They landed the second out of the rumoured four signings from the relegation battling rivals Burnley, for a fee of £25 million. The 30-year-old forward has put pen to paper on a two-and-a-half-year deal.

“Chris is an important signing for us at a crucial time and I’m very pleased we have been able to move quickly and bring him here. He is a very dangerous attacking threat. Chris also has a physicality and character that I really like, and he has vast experience in the Premier League. He will be a great fit for us.” Eddie Howe said on Newcastle’s official website.

Main Image Credit Embed from Getty Images