Wigan Athletic’s Charlie Wyke Out of Hospital After Cardiac Arrest

Wigan Athletic’s Charlie Wyke has finally been discharged from hospital following his cardiac arrest in November.

Wigan Athletic’s Charlie Wyke Leaves Hospital After a Training Session Cardiac Arrest Last Month

League One striker starts recovery after training session scare

Charlie Wyke has left hospital after suffering from a cardiac arrest last month in training. The 28-year-old was training ahead of the Latics’ tie with Cambridge United in November and became ill.

The former Sunderland man credits his manager Leam Richardson for playing a part in saving his life, according to Sky Sports.

Wigan doctor Jonathan Tobin helped to stabilise Wyke. The striker, who has scored five goals for Wigan this season, was transferred to Liverpool Heart and Chest Hospital.

Charlie Wyke collapsed during a training session at the end of November.

Wyke addresses Wigan Athletic and the NHS

The forward has said: “First and foremost, I just want to stress my sincere appreciation to the club’s medical staff and the NHS staff who have cared for me after I was taken into hospital last week.”

“In particular, I would like to mention Dr. Rob Cooper from the Liverpool Heart and Chest Hospital for everything he has done for me over the last week or so.”

“I feel it’s important to tell my story to our supporters and to the wider public, because my life has been saved by the actions of the gaffer [Leam Richardson] and the club doctor Jonathan Tobin, and my story may well save another life.”

The full statement is available on Sky Sports‘ coverage of the story.

Club CEO Mal Brannigan, at the time of the event, said in an official club statement: “As a Club, we would like to place on record our sincere appreciation to all of the staff within the NHS who, within what we know are challenging times, were excellent in their response and subsequent care for Charlie, working together with our medical team.”

Wigan dedicated their late goal to Wyke on November 27th after Callum Lang scored a last-gasp winner against Plymouth Argyle.

News on Wyke’s return to football is yet to be confirmed.

Main Image Credit Embed from Getty Images

Related articles


Comments are closed.

Share article

Latest articles