Everyone has their opinion, but the best team I’ve watched was Manchester City in the 2017-18 season. They dominated the Premier League that season, accumulating 100 points—19 points ahead of Manchester United who finished second. Currently, they are the record holders in points, wins, goals, goal difference and winning margin.
Domination of the Premier League
Manchester City only suffered defeat twice away at Anfield 4-3 to Liverpool and 3-2 at home against Manchester United. This loss was painful because they would have clinched the title with a win over their rival. They bottled a 2-0 lead. Earlier in the season, they defeated Liverpool 5-0 and Manchester United 2-1. The 5-0 win over Liverpool did come with controversy when Sadio Mane was sent off with a red card. Then floodgates opened for Manchester City. One of the iconic moments of the season was the Kevin De Bruyne game-winner against Chelsea. It was iconic because it came against De Bruyne’s former club.
There were games in which Manchester City looked like they were on a different level from the opposition. Beating Arsenal 3-0, Leicester City 5-1, 4-1 over Tottenham, 5-0 Newcastle and Bournemouth 4-0. They also dominated Swansea, Stoke City, and West Brom but those teams got relegated to the English championship.
- Four players scored 10 or more goals in the Premier League
- Sergio Aguero led the team netting 21 goals
- Raheem Sterling accumulated 18 goals
- Gabriel Jesus 13 scored goals
- Leroy Sane 10
- Goalkeeper Ederson – 17 clean sheets
- De Bryune – Playmaker of the Season
- Pep Guardiola – Manager of the Season
- Sane – Premier League Player of the Month in October
- Aguero – Premier Leauge Player of the Month in January
Main image credit:
Embed from Getty Images